CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 64 % of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.

Clarification on VaR

Hi All,
Just need to clear something up.

If I see next to a traders equity the following > $ 10,000.00 (VaR 1.91 %)

Would I be correct in saying that the traders themselves are operating at a VaR of 1.91%?

Second, does this mean that the trader has a 1 in 20 chance of losing 1.91% of their account in any given month? And that 19 out of 20 months they will not lose more than 1.91%?

Cheers

2 Likes

YES

YES

1 Like

No, the correct sentence will be: “The trader has a 1 in 20 chance of losing more than 1.91% of their account in any given month”
And remember that it would translate to a loss in his/her Darwin of much more than that 1.91%.

2 Likes

Normally VARs are referring to a probability outside a range; i.e. 5% chance of a monthly return outside +/-10% return range. This means a 2.5% chance of less than -10% but also 2.5% chance of more than +10% return each month. But perhaps the Darwinex algos are set up to fix VAR at 5% chance instead of 2.5%. The VAR page on the Help site is not so helpful when it says:

This means that, 1 our of every 20 months, the minimum loss estimated of the capital will be 10% **or less** .

I fear you unfortunately copied a misleading part;
Same link:

Example

Imagine that we invest 1000€ in a DARWIN. Remember that all DARWIN are listed with a 10% monthly VaR.

What would be my risk?

Statistically, 1 month out of every 20, I can loose 10% of my investment or more. Therefore the minimum expected loss of capital, 1 month out of every 20, will be 100€.

That is confirmed on that page here:

Which risk is higher

Imagine that a trader has a system trading with a 25% VaR. Nevertheless, thanks to Darwinex’s risk management algorithms, the DARWIN that replicates the underlying strategy has a 10% VaR.
Who trades with more risk, the DARWIN or the underlying strategy?

The answer is simple, right? Without a doubt it is the underlying strategy because, 1 out of every 20 months, it would lose 25% of its capital or more, while the DARWIN would lose 10% or more of its capital, 1 month out of every 20.

sorry, but still confused by it

so if I read you right, if there is a VaR of 2%, then 1 in 20 months you will lose 2% or more

How is it then that if the trader themselves has a VaR of less than 10% (and I have found many like this) but the Darwin still has it set at 10%. wouldn’t it go like this

trader 1% darwin 1%
trader 5% darwin 5%
trader 10% darwin 10%
trader 15% darwin 10%
trader 20% darwin 10%
and so on?

No, The traders trading their account with a VaR of less than 10% will have the Darwin trade sizes scaled up to give a VaR of 10% (otherwise the whole idea would not work).

2 Likes

Ok I see now. Thanks

Well, I have one query, I have seen some Darwins who have lost more than their operating VaR more than than once in last 12 months!!!

So VaR is really effective to safe-guard the investor?

It’s a probability, not a guarantee or certainty.

1 Like

VaR is not max drawdown, you can lose 5 or even 10% for 3 or 4 consecutive months and the loss is much bigger than 10% .
Many darwins have a terrible month like -15% or more but never more than once per year.
Even if VaR would be more precise or calulated in a different way it would not solve the main problem for investors: finding robust winners.
A winner will make up to 40% next year, a loser will lose up to 40%, with any distribution.

I agree that for investor VaR is just probability…

I know VaR is not drawdown (neither maximum nor period bounded)

Let me explain how I understand VaR from the investors’ point of view:
10%VaR means an investor is very unlikely to lose more than once 10% in 20 months, Right?

If no, then it might be helpful for a trader (to evaluate trading strategy for the same VaR), but for the investor, it serves very little purpose.

Hmm, maybe I misunderstood you, but here I am not talking about smaller losses than VaR (even if slowly and gradually losing money every month).

I wouldn’t be too sure about that, this one has nearly done -15% months twice this year, and the year is far from over.

1 Like

Not quite, the Darwinex statement is that an Investor is likely to lose at least 10% one month in 20

Full explanation here:

2 Likes

Ok, I misunderstood it
Thanks