CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 66 % of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.

GBPCAD Spreads

Hello …

I will start off by saying this is not a criticism, but a real concern I have. I am raising this because I would like to think it’s something that can be improved on by Darwinex. I think Darwinex kicks ass in many areas, but spread is unfortunately one area that I feel can do with some improvement.

Please also don’t confuse this message of mine as someone who is trying to take a scalping trade (as many of you know I have a history in scalping). I am in fact considering taking a trade with a pretty large stop on the GBP/CAD pair, however, I just do not feel I can justify paying 25 pips in spread for me to take the trade.

I realise the market has opened only 40 minutes or so ago, but still, spreads this wide would make it quite tricky to trade the best of strategies. I also stress that I appreciate that GBP/CAD is hardly well known for it’s exceptional spreads.

15 minutes after market open the spread on this pair was still 40 pips.

I would therefore like to ask what can be done to improve this? My intention is not to start comparing brokers, so it’s really a case of asking what can Darwinex do in this area? I guess the spread is being passed on by the LPs as the difference between the bid/ask prices, however, I assume there are opportunities in the form of aggregated liquidity etc?

I would be keen to hear others’ experiences, and also from Darwinex on whether there is something in the pipeline to improve a little here?

We are now 50 minutes into market open and back up to 32 pips as shown below.

Cheers

3 Likes

Hi @TheMarketBank
Thank you for pointing this out.

As you probably know, or have observed over time, if the market is “tradable” at 21:05 on Sunday, doesn’t mean that you will have full liquidity. Liquidity always appears starting from 22:00 GMT (dst on). This is something you can observe for years now, on nearly all brokerage, and not something new.

21-22 is a kind of a ‘dead hour’,

What about the spread after 22:00?

1 Like

Thanks, and yes I know exactly what the spreads typically do around this hour - but 40 pips is massive and spreads this wide has potential for stopping out all kinds of strategies in my opinion. I deliberately stated in my initial post that I didn’t want for this to become a thread of comparing brokers, but as you have brought it up, No, spreads this wide is not normal.

Edit: To add to my post, it doesn’t help to say the spreads are better after 22:00 - some consideration should also be given to trades that are already open, or have perhaps even been opened days earlier.

I was more hoping to hear that something can be done to fix it / improve it if I was perfectly honest.

3 Likes

I remember that more than one year ago there was the same problem with XAUUSD and Darwinex solved the problem opening one hour later.

2 Likes

Thanks @CavaliereVerde yes I remember one of those, although they appear to have been price spikes rather than wide spreads? But as you say, maybe the fix would be the same if this continues.

1 Like

I want to add an observation made tonight when the market reopened after the WE: GBP USD on darwniex 32 pip of spread… on another broker (without the commission) was 18 pip… (and I trade also with the other broker so I know that the quote is real)… there is really something strange going on in the first hour of the new day.

3 Likes

Here is a CHF/JPY example from yesterday that stopped me out.

This case was not as extreme as the GBPCAD trade, however, I would still have been in my trade with all other brokers. It makes trading harder, even when trading somewhat bigger time-frame charts.

3 Likes

I have the same problem with NZDUSD. See this:

1 Like