CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. -- % of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.

Help with some math on invested returns please

Assumptions:
I am a new trader, funding my account just prior to November 1st. I invested in a specific Darwin (we’ll call it ABC) on November 1st. November ABC records 2% loss. December another 2% loss. January 1% loss, for a total loss of 5%. Under what circumstance would my $1000 investment be recorded as 10% loss (open P&L column) with 0% divergence?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Welcome to the :darwinex: forum! It’s good to have you here :smiley:!

As to the question, do you see -10% today (2020-02-26T00:00:00Z) or did you see that at the end of January?

If the investment is still open right now, Open P&L can’t be expected to be the result of compounding previous month’s losses.

2 Likes

That’s not 5 % loss, it is slightly more.
The calculation of the investment capital left is the followin:
0.98 * 0-98 * 0.99 = 0.9508 (rounded) or 4.92 % loss.

You will have lost exactly 10% of your capital when the equity is down to exactly $ 900.00 , even if this answer does not help.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome.

It was as of today. (on the 26th.)

“If the investment is still open right now, Open P&L can’t be expected to be the result of compounding previous month’s losses.”

Can you say more about this? Why wouldn’t it match the reported loss percentages as a running total?

It should, but including the current month, in this case, February!

Feel free to upload a screenshot here or send it to info@darwinex.com.

1 Like

Thanks Bianka, I think I’ve got it now. I realised I actually entered Nov 7th so I hadn’t factored in that first week in the calculation.

1 Like