CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. -- % of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.

@integracore2 when he's not @integracore2 | #TraderLives

There is more to traders than meets the eye (or the forum post)… :slightly_smiling_face:

For myself personally, I believe it’s important for me to have an outlet that has no relevance nor relationship with my profession / work, etc.

It helps me disconnect from the otherwise extremely busy, intense world I live in day to day :pray: :peace_symbol: :dove:

I’d be really interested in hearing other people’s stories and outlets too :slightly_smiling_face: - it would make for both great conversation and give everyone a more laid back view of the individual/team behind any particular strategy.

It could also pay dividends / add another means for participants here to get insights into who the person is behind the trader persona, on a level that has nothing to do with their trader persona at all :bulb:

If you’d like to do your own such post, please add #TraderLives to the title so we can organize that content here on the forum.

In the interests of leading by example, I’ll make myself the guinea pig here and share with everyone what I get up to in my spare time…

…something that has no relationship with my profession (or maybe it does? I’d love to hear your thoughts on how)

So…

Music has been a big part of my life since conscious memory serves me.

I started playing piano as a little kid, and later switched to guitar in my teens.

That progressed to playing backing rhythm and eventually lead guitar and bass for a few bands through university etc.

All throughout that experience, I had a few major frustrations:

1. I could never really “find” the perfect guitar for me, my own individual style etc, in the shops or online.

2. When I did find a branded guitar that was close enough to what I needed ideally, it was usually way too expensive for me to afford. Examples of these include Music Man, Ibanez, Gibson, PRS etc.

3. When I explored having a professional build a custom guitar for me, that too would prove costly and I simply couldn’t afford that route either.

… so the daunting, but only solution given the circumstances, became clear to me:

I needed to learn HOW to build my own guitar :slightly_smiling_face:

Fast forward nearly 20 years, I have been learning and building simultaneously, and either been:

1. Building guitars from absolute scratch, i.e. buying the wood, hardware and electronics and crafting them.

2. Or buying old, damaged or discarded guitars, refurbing and customizing them to my taste.

Disclaimer: I am not at all a professional at this endeavour… :joy: simply a novice hobbyist guitar builder.

Since I love Les Pauls…

…and to satisfy my urge to build a custom Les Paul, I bought this cheap (but insanely under-valued) Hohner RP200 Les Paul copy many moons ago… but in the midst of life itself, I got too busy and forgot about it…

It had been sitting in my shed for years, but this past weekend I made an effort to pull it out and bring it back to life :hospital:

For those interested in the experience, I recorded most steps of the process via photos.

It takes a LOT of care and detailed attention to build or refurbish guitars…

… very much like a properly conducted backtest :wink:

1) Getting the poor thing out and giving it a decent surface clean, with the help of my daughter who loves learning new things with her dad.

2) After a wipe down with a clean cloth and cleaning alcohol, let’s remove these old dead strings and prepare for disassembly.

3) Remove Bridge and inspect for damage if any, see if we need to replace it. Turns out we don’t, and all it needs is a decent clean.

4) Bring out the WD-40 to clean this old rusty, oxidized mess up overnight…

5) Right, let’s hit those tuning machines now… take them off, same WD-40 magic and proceed to the rest.

6) Let’s get this pickguard off and clean up these oxidized pickups a bit.

7) Now let’s tape off the pickups, clean the fretboard with some steel wool, then apply fretboard conditioner.

8) Tuning machines are all cleaned up now, let’s pop them back on.

9) All set. Now let’s get the pickguard and Bridge back on, then pop on some new 9-gauge Elixir strings (I prefer Ernie Ball Slinkies, but didn’t have any left…)

10) Finish off with some polish so everything’s all nice and treated for scratch-ware as best as possible.

11) Admire handiwork and get ready to jam out later! Ah she’s a beauty…:slightly_smiling_face:

So yes, when I’m not trading / working, my life is a very different but simple kettle of fish… I would love to hear about yours :slightly_smiling_face:

Have a great weekend everyone :pray:

4 Likes

Thanx for the details, I knew you are a musician. :wink:

I am playing clarinet alone at home now!
I am using youtube as base, there are no more windband rehearsals because of the Coronavirus lockdown.

2 Likes