CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 66 % of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.

MT5 trade far from the opening price

Hi,

today some strange thing happened with my MT5 demo account. I shorted Newmont Mining right after the markets opened (maybe a few sec. after opening). The price I got actually was far from the opening price and actually has never been there according to the chart. Has someone an explaination for this situation?
Thanks.

Newmont

I would generally add the bid and the ask line to the MT5 chart (see properties, not available for MT4), then you should see bid and ask before trading.
You could ask Darwinex for tick data or try to download them, if it is available for NEM.
But I fear that does not help if you don’t get the spread also.
I assume the market had a spread of 90 pips at that moment which is not visible in MT5, while in MT4 you could choose whether the chart should show the bid or ask line.
Looks like one of the typical tricks of the provider when markets open.

1 Like

90 pips spread would have been huge (2.5%) and this was at the opening where volume should been somewhat high (15M $ in first 5 min.). But it seems to be the only possible explanation.
Thanks @IlIlIlIlI In the future I will pay attention to bid/ask for NEM. In the market overview and tick chart I can see the spread.

1 Like

I have an idea why there was this price difference. US-Stocks are opening at 16:31 UTC at Darwinex, but the actual opening at NYSE is 16:30 and the first minute is not shown in MT5. It seems that in volatile stocks there can be bigger price movements in the first minute.
I wonder why Darwinex is not trading the first minute. As far as I can see there can be huge trading volume in this minute compared to subsequent minutes.

1 Like

Maybe their CFD providers don’t make a reasonable offer in the first minute, maybe their CFD market is closed in the first minute what I assume. Sometimes you also get high spreads in a minor currency when the market opens.

1 Like