CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. -- % of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.

The Relationship between 3D Gaming and Quant Finance?

Sometimes when I get stuck on an algorithmic problem, I often turn to the most complex piece of software engineering I know of, for inspiration in problem solving:

3D Games :nerd_face:

Working on a new educational series with my colleagues these days (watch this space), on DARWIN Portfolio Analysis & Construction using the DARWIN API - and while doing so this evening, I went head to head with a difficult programming challenge that I suppose I’m too tired at the end of the day today to overcome right this very minute…

… so I turned to Quake Champions for intellectual support :smiling_imp:

Like several blockbuster 3D titles of its kind, it is a work of extremely serious, extremely complex quantitative engineering - what better way to make my problems look small in comparison :sweat_smile:

Personally I feel that until we meet tougher challenges than those we’re faced with, we simply can’t tread far enough outside our respective comfort zones :bulb:

In my case, I take inspiration from the complexities of 3D game engines to name one source, and often make time to read open source game tech to see if I can glean anything off them that might help improve my trading strategies.

3D games/graphics involve some of the most ridiculously difficult tech, math, physics and creative ingenuity, some of which is also applicable to Quantitative Finance.

Any other hobbyist gamer traders in the community? :slightly_smiling_face:

Better yet, any algorithmic traders employing 3D graphics / physics related concepts in their trading? :bulb:

If yes, or even if you simply enjoy 3D gaming, please do share your experience!

1 Like

:raising_hand_man:
I was a 3d gamer, now I seldom play some old games that work well without a super-updated computer.
A lot of gaming in the Half Life 2 era.
It was before 2012 and this madness of trading… :rofl:

Recently I bought Far Cry 2 and Witcher 2 for cheap.
I spent more time with Role Playing Games than Shooters, stuff like Morrowind and Oblivion.
3D RPG can really be world simulators

1 Like