CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 66 % of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.

VAR 5%. More options ! Please!

Simply that.
The most successful traders, work with VAR <5% (there are many examples, among which I follow, ZVQ, ERQ, THA, NTI, STV …) or a tad more, 6 or 7%.
There are very few good examples of strategies with risk of 10% or more.
But, if as is my case, we work with risk of the environment of 2.5% in the strategy (one of my darwins is HGO), the investor multiplies the movements of the same by 4 (in a not perfect but acceptable calculation). In addition, going from working with 2.5% to 5% to try to get closer to 10%, apart from that it is not at all clear that it is very desirable, it means changing lots and capital accordingly, and the SCORE manager of DWX takes a while more or less long in adapting to the new situation, so the SCORE, in that month, suffers …
But this I think is NOT the important thing: the fact is that for a VAR of 10%, we have an average annual target yield of 25% as very desirable, with a maximum loss of 20-25%, also annual. The famous ratio Return / maxDD in annual format, where anything greater than 1 is a great merit (because, after 5 years, if every year has occurred that case, the composite performance will be 1.25 ^ 5 = 3, ie , the 300% yield, while the maxDD will have stayed at that 20-25%.
Realistic goals and in fact, very very good.
But a 20-25% maximum annual DD is enough … the percentage deceives, because the investor sees what are the euros, dollars or pounds lost … perhaps it is little for a portfolio of € 1000, but much for a € 20,000 and very much for a € 100,000 or more … for me, go through -10,000 or -20,000 € losses seems to me excessive volatility (despite being very profitable in the long term!) And that if You get the returns, because if you had 50,000 pounds and after 5 years have multiplied by 3, and you have 150,000, that 20% (for the same VAR …) will be 30,000 pounds. If, after winning 100,000 pounds, a DD of € 30,000 is better, but the days go by and the number is undermining confidence …
Would not investors sleep much better, especially those who have more money and therefore more confidence, with a VAR of 5%?
And it is not a 12% of annual objective profitability an excellent result, that practically does not give you any other asset ??
What do the forum experts say?

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Came back to 3 levels of VAR for every Darwin